Preventing Rats in Myrtle Beach
Nobody wants to deal with rats in their Myrtle Beach home. They carry disease, chew through wires and walls, and can cause damage. But how do you prevent them from entering in the first place? It's all about being proactive and taking preventative measures before it becomes problematic. You can keep rats out of your home by following simple steps.
How to Keep Rats Away
Rats can be a nuisance in any household or workplace. Luckily, there are several effective methods to keep them at bay.
Seal Any Potential Entry Point
Sealing potential entry points is the best way to keep rats out of your space. These pesky rodents can squeeze through holes as small as a quarter inch, so it's important to thoroughly inspect your property for any openings. Once you've identified potential entry points, use caulk or steel wool to seal them up. Don't forget to check for any openings around doors and windows and gaps in roofing and walls.
Use Natural Rat Deterrents
Plenty of natural rat deterrents can be used to keep them at bay. Keeping strong smells in or around your house will prevent them from sticking around. Here are a few that we recommend:
- Peppermint oil: Rats can't stand the strong scent.
- Cayenne pepper: Sprinkle it where rats are known to roam.
- Ammonia: Diluted with water, this potent smell will drive rats away.
- Owls and cats: Natural predators that can scare off rats.
Take Care of Your Yard and Garden
Maintaining a well-kept yard and garden is essential for keeping rats at bay. Start by removing any debris or clutter that could serve as a hiding spot or nesting ground for rodents. Keep your lawn mowed and trimmed to eliminate hiding places. Regularly prune trees and shrubs to prevent overgrowth and block entry points. Lastly, secure all garbage cans and compost bins to prevent rats from accessing food sources.
Keep Your Home Clean & Food Stored
Rats are attracted to dirty and cluttered environments, so it's important to keep your home clean and organized. Make sure to clean up any spills or crumbs immediately, sweep or vacuum regularly, and take out the trash frequently. Don't leave any food out in the open, and store it in airtight containers.
How to Get Rid of Rats
If you weren’t able to prevent the rats or other common rodents, there are still multiple ways you can try to get rid of them on your own! Here are our tips for trapping rats:
- Identify the areas where the rats enter and exit your home. This could include holes in the walls, gaps in the doors, or cracks in the foundation.
- Set up store-bought traps using bait such as peanut butter or cheese in these areas.
- Check the traps regularly and dispose of any trapped rats immediately. Release the rat about 100 yards from where it was trapped, or take it to an animal shelter to dispose of it.
- Use humane traps that release the rats back into the wild. These traps are more ethical and can be as effective as traditional traps.
Call Beach Pest Service For Rat Control
While DIY rat control is an option, it’s a lot of work! But at Beach Pest Service, our professional rat exterminators will get rid of rodents for good. Our experts use state-of-the-art equipment and proven methods to get rid of rats in a safe and effective manner. Don't let rats take up more of your time - trust us to take care of it for you. Call Beach for Myrtle Beach rat control!